Develop your proposal
Will your research project involve data? The first step for many researchers is identifying a funding source and preparing a proposal. Emory has many resources to assist with the grant application process:
- Research Administration Investigators Guide: a guide to relevant resources and tools for each phase of the grant life cycle, from Emory’s Office of Research Administration.
- Office of Research Funding Support (Emory College): resources and support for faculty and student researchers in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Proposal Preparation Toolkit: Emory’s Research Administration Services (RAS) units support both pre-award and post-award activities.
- Emory Facilities and Resources Boilerplate Language Library: a centralized collection of template language describing resources available at Emory for investigators writing grant proposals, progress reports and other documents that need to highlight Emory's institutional research environment.
- Sponsored Research Guidance: guidelines and policies from the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) for all grant proposals from Emory.
- Grant Writing Program: Laney Graduate School offers a program that addresses every stage of grant proposal writing, including information and working sessions for students drafting proposals.
- Biostatistics Collaboration Core: the Biostatistics Collaboration Core (BCC) helps investigators with grant proposals, including development of the statistical methods section, power calculations, and comprehensive grant proposal review. Their services are available to faculty, staff, and students in the Rollins School of Public Health, other divisions of the Woodruff Health Sciences Center, and throughout Emory.
Are you drafting a budget with your grant proposal? Many funders allow investigators to allocate funds for help with study design, secure storage costs, and data archiving fees. Some resources to help with budgeting your own costs:
- Best practices in budgeting for data management from the DataONE project
- Data Management Costing Tool from the UK Data Service